With apologies to Abbie Hoffmann: Review this book--don't steal it!

The world of independent eBook publishing, I have quickly discovered, is a world of "word of mouth" in which five or six good reviews by readers on Amazon will do more to help sell your book than almost anything else on the planet, and thirty good reviews will turn you into a best seller.

I'd like to have MacArthur's Luck turn into a best seller. Not particularly for the money (although I do plan to keep it and use it to support more writing), but because I think it's a good story and an intriguing alternative world.

But to take the time to keep telling this story, I have to manage to sell enough copies of MacArthur's Luck to finish up Stalin's Wager before I move on to Patton's Chance, Truman's Odds, and Heinlein's Gamble. (See? These things really do play out that far down the road in your head.)

That takes reviews. If you read the book, no matter what you think of it, please take the time to leave at least a brief review on Amazon. Tell the truth--what you liked, what you didn't, whether it was a waste of your $0.99 or not.

From what I can tell from personal experience and the available literature, the present of even one review doubles the number of clicks that a Kindle book will get when presented to buyers in a list. If the stars that appear are based on at least five reviews, the book's chances double again, and again for about every ten more reviews that are noted in the parenthesis. Once on the page, the presence of at least five reviews doubles the chance on an impulse buy for items below the $2.99 threshold.

What kind of difference does this make in purchases? I'm not sure, but I'm game to find out. So far MacArthur's Luck has been out there for a week, and without a single review has sold 61 copies on Amazon alone (24 copies just yesterday). With reviews to help it show up higher in search results and to tempt prospective buyers to click on the title, I'm thinking I could double or triple those numbers, and at some point it would become more self-sustaining.

So I am essentially out here with my tin cup begging for reviews, because it also seems that only about one out of a hundred random readers (if that many) actually leaves reviews for the hell of it.

You can purchase MacArthur's Luck for an amazing $0.99 for 510 pages of alternate military history, and by leaving a review you can help guarantee that someday Stalin's Wager will be there, too.

Comments

  1. I purchased this book under this title last summer. I enjoyed the book, especially all the different threads of an obviously larger story. However, now it has a new title on Amazon, the page under the original title is gone, and my Amazon account is confused and doesn't know that I purchased Book 1 of this series. Could you somehow link the older purchases to the new book title? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment